Disclosure: We rely on readers’ support to run SleepMattressHQ.com. If you buy products through our links, we may earn a commission. Click here to read about our process.
In the US, there is a relatively smaller proportion of people who prefer to sleep on their backs. So for those who sleep on their backs, it is extremely annoying to find a mattress that is not only comfortable, but also durable enough and good value for money.
Our buyer’s guide and list of the best mattresses for sleeping on your back are enough to make sure you don’t run into problems while looking for the best mattress that improves your sleep.
Before we talk about mattress toppers for back sleepers, there are two other prominent sleeping positions. One is the side sleeping position, which is immensely popular. The other common sleeping position is sleeping on your stomach. The stomach remains in contact with the sleeping surface and the neck and hips remain straight.
To ensure that back sleepers have a restful experience every night, we’ve put together a unique list of the best mattresses.
We have also highlighted its main features so that you can find the most suitable mattress for your needs.
List of Best Mattresses for Back Sleepers
Casper Original Foam Mattress – 2020 Model
- Three specific back support zones provide precise spinal alignment
- AirScape trademark breathable foam layer provides ample air circulation
- Sleep lab certification ensures reliable quality
- 100 night trial and free returns
One of the most comfortable mattresses for those who sleep on the back is the Casper Original mattress. Casper strives to constantly innovate and invent mattresses that offer a kind of universal comfort to all users. Some of the key features are:
Casper has become a household name and constant product innovation is one of the main reasons for this. This mattress has a specific support system that makes you feel comfortable. Premium foam comfort layer molds to the body and relaxes all joints and muscles. The base is also sturdy and durable enough.
What do We like?
A Paradise: Plush memory foam and a back support system help relieve pressure. Contouring keeps your back in the correct position without putting pressure on a specific joint in the body.
Cool and Comforting: Small vents ensure no air is trapped and a cool temperature is maintained at night.
Reliable: The Casper brand is enough to demonstrate the brilliant quality of their products, but the original mattress (2020) comes with a 100-night trial and a 10-year warranty.
Leesa Hybrid Mattress
- Pocket springs provide precise edge support
- Luxury 4 Strip Mattress Cover
- Oatmeal foam layer cooling along with Memory Foam for the right contour and support
- 100 night trial and 5 year warranty
Leesa Hybrid is our next choice for premium mattresses. This mattress is a luxury product and sleeping on it feels enormously relieved. Here are some of the great features that make it so popular and reliable:
The Leesa Hybrid is the perfect example of a combination of two of the most indispensable features: a comfortable lying surface and a cool mattress.
Back sleepers prefer the comfort top layer and recovery memory layer that offers sufficient support. The warranty is relatively low, but the mattress has impressive benefits such as soft pillows and sheets.
What do We like?
Luxurious feel: This product is not designed for customers on a budget. It includes some top-notch features that enhance the overall look of this mattress.
Combined Comfort: It is the best hybrid mattress for those who sleep on their backs and are tired of sweating at night. Oatmeal cool coating is the remedy to ensure that you wake up refreshed after a cool sleep.
Avocado Green mattress
An epitome of purity and well-being, the Avocado Green mattress is the top-rated organic mattress for those who sleep on their backs. It is extremely comfortable and safe, because many natural raw materials are used in its production. The best features are:
- No use of polyester or harmful flame retardants.
- GOLS certified organic latex and GOTS certified organic cotton for quality assurance
- Zoned pressure point system for ample support and immense durability
- 1 year test and 25 year warranty
Customers are impressed with this organic mattress. For environmentally conscious customers, the avocado green mattress is a great innovation because it offers unsurpassed comfort. It provides total safety for those who sleep and is ecological.
It has a pressure relief system that provides good spinal support, while the attached pillow provides good neck support.
What do We Like?
Completely Safe and Healthy: it is one of only three mattress companies in the world with a Made Safe certification and is made entirely from organic materials.
Comfy and Trustable: Your back stays perfectly aligned while you sleep and the mattress comes with a huge 25 year warranty for all the help.
TEMPUR-Adapt Hybrid Mattress
- Reinforced internal spring construction along with multiple layers of foam provide back relief.
- A cool and comfortable top layer to maintain an accurate temperature all night long.
- The adjustable TEMPUR material aligns the back and ensures absolute relaxation
- 10 year full replacement warranty
TempurPedic is a leader in the supply of comfortable mattresses, offering a unique mattress that is worth every penny you spend on it.
Customers are driven by the TEMPUR brand and this company always offers excellent comfort and first-class quality in all its mattresses.
This mattress is the best option for people who sleep on their backs and who prefer comfort over everything else.
Designed to perfection, the original adaptable TEMPUR foam will make your mornings fresh and your nights restful. Out of all the TEMPUR mattresses, this mattress is the best TempurPedic mattress for back pain.
What do We like?
Brand Value: TEMPUR has become synonymous with absolute comfort and this mattress is no exception.
Scientifically Designed: NASA scientists have developed the premium TEMPUR material for the best sleep experience on the market.
TUFT & NEEDLE Mattress
- 65% Polyester and Made in the USA
- Greenguard GOLD certification and CertiPUR certified.
- Adaptive Trademark T and N foam provides a cool sleeping surface.
- 10 year limited warranty.
It is a generally accepted fact that back sleepers prefer a medium firm mattress to ensure that the back remains aligned and that there is no pressure build up near the hip and neck joints.
The Tuft and Needle mattress has become a consumer favorite for its affordable price and excellent quality. Customers find that it has great features available at a reasonable price.
T&N is a bit firm, which ensures that you get a good night’s sleep while sleeping on your back. Adaptive memory foam is also highly valued as it helps create a cool sleeping experience.
What do We like?
Perfect Balance: This mattress has the exact balance of plushness and firmness to give it more comfort. It is the best mattress for back and hip pain.
Value for money: At an affordable price, it offers excellent quality and excellent customer support thanks to the 10-year warranty. Ideal for consumers looking for a balance between price and quality.
Saatva Classic Mattress
Another option for those who prefer a firm mattress is the Saatva Classic Mattress. It is getting more and more popular because of its great features and reliable quality.
Some of the notable features are:
- Environmentally friendly and certified by CertiPUR
- The top cover is treated with a botanical antimicrobial Guardin treatment and a finishing touch with an organic damask bronze trim.
- 120 nights trial and 15 year warranty
A luxurious experience will surely be your way when you buy the Saatva Classic mattress. The internal spring coil is made from recycled steel rod, which contributes to the company’s commitment to developing naturally strong products.
It is firm enough, which is why we recommend it as the best mattress for back problems.
What do We like?
Firm and Comfy: It has a precise firmness and from the user experience we have come to understand that it is one of the best options for people who sleep on their backs or those who suffer from lower back pain and cramps.
Durable: – You can blindly trust the quality of the Saatva Classic mattress and, to assure the customer, it also comes with a 15 year warranty.
Brooklyn Signature Hybrid Mattress
- Patented cooling system for a sweat-free sleeping experience
- TitanFlex foam combines precise contours and responsiveness comparable to latex foam
- 1″ high-density base foam for durability and support
- 10 year warranty
If you’re looking for a mattress that will last for many years without the need for repair or hassle, our pick for that need is the Brooklyn Signature mattress.
We highly recommend the Brooklyn Signature mattress for those who want a hassle-free experience and also for a long enough period of time. This mattress is simple and aims to create valuable quality and not too many features.
Back sleepers would love it for its ample sturdiness and reliable durability.
What do We like?
Reliable: It is durable and comes with a 10-year warranty.
Cool and Relaxing: Innovative cooling technology makes you feel comfortable all night long.
- Double layers of Memory Gel foam contour and help distribute weight effectively
- It adapts to your sleeping position and offers maximum comfort.
- Moisture-wicking Tencel Cover for a cool sleeping experience
- Forever Warranty and 180 Night Trial
If you are on a budget but want to buy something of excellent quality and reliable durability, the Nectar mattress is the best option for you. It’s faithful to every penny you spend on it and makes sure it lasts long enough.
Customers feel this is the best mattress at such an affordable price. Back sleepers will enjoy the good firmness of the bed and will also appreciate the durability of this mattress.
The 180-night trial is another advantage, while the lifetime warranty is the highest on the market. Show the manufacturer’s confidence in this mattress.
What do We like?
Affordable Brilliance: We rate this as the best mattress for back sleepers and true value for money.
Worry-Free Usage: With a lifetime warranty, you can easily contact customer service at any time to resolve any damage or problem.
The WinkBed Mattress
Finally, we bring you a wonderfully luxurious looking mattress designed to give you peace of mind every night: the WinkBed. It is a premium mattress with the following features:
- Special foams provide plush comfort, while dual internal springs provide support.
- Extra edge support to prevent unwanted warping
- 120 Night Trial and Lifetime Warranty
While this mattress is luxurious and therefore a bit pricey, customers don’t shy away from the relief they get from sleeping in the WinkBed.
It is innovative and has a number of first-class features that make the mattress breathable and ensure correct alignment of the body position during the night.
It has features that work.
What do We like?
Innovative: It has some top-notch technologies used that ensure you have a great sleeping experience without compromise.
Trustable: You can rely on WinkBed and get a lifetime warranty in case of problems. We found the customer service to be very prompt and helpful.
Quick Buying Guide
Back sleepers are a minority in the US and they need some special mattresses that not only relieve the back but also help maintain good posture. This ensures that there is no pain in the neck or hips. Here we provide a detailed buyer’s guide to help you buy the best mattress for your back:
Variations in Back Sleeping Position
There are different sleeping positions, even if you sleep on your back. Find out what your position is in the following description:
- Starfish : Here the arms are bent at the elbow in line with the head and at least one of the legs is bent at the knee.
- Soldier: This involves keeping the arms extended at the sides while one or both legs are bent at the knee joint.
- Savasana: It’s like the perfect pose where your arms stay at the sides while your legs stay extended out.
None of these positions can be compared, but they can be used alternately or perhaps the same every night. In either case, a supportive mattress is needed to relieve unwanted muscle aches or cramps.
Advantages of Back Sleeping
There are not many but a few benefits of sleeping in this unusual position:
- Due to the fact that the face remains up, i.e. without contact with the mattress or pillow, there is relatively less chance of the appearance of wrinkles on the face.
- When you’re not moving around a lot, this position allows for natural alignment of your neck, shoulders, and hip joint, along with a straight back.
- It is not necessary to put pillows between the thighs (for example, for sleeping on your side) or under the stomach (for sleeping on your stomach, for example).
- Helps relieve sinus buildup and prevents pressure buildup on a particular body organ.
Disadvantages of Back Sleeping
If you sleep on your back and not on the right mattress, you are vulnerable to the few risks:
- You may begin to snore or develop sleep apnea because sleeping on your back causes your tongue and breathing muscles to relax, leading to problems breathing properly.
- You are at risk for shoulder cramps or annoying neck pain. This can happen due to incorrect posture or an uncomfortable pillow.
- Pregnant women have developed lower back pain in this position and therefore this position is not suitable for women who are pregnant.
Discovering Your Firmness Level
Back sleepers prefer a slightly firm and stable mattress as it fits perfectly to ensure proper back alignment does not sag easily. We’ve listed the appropriate firmness levels that we researched and found helpful based on the sleeper’s weight:
- For all sleepers who weigh less than 150 pounds, we believe that a soft mattress can be enough to prevent sagging while ensuring a pleasant sleep.
- For those who fall into the 150 to 230 pound category, a medium firm mattress is recommended.
- For slightly heavy back sleepers, such as those over 230 pounds, we recommend a supportive mattress with a slightly firm sleeping surface.
Different Types of Mattresses for Back Sleepers:
Foam Beds: These can be memory foam or other comfort layers with innovative properties that ensure that you get maximum comfort. Our top recommendations for anyone looking to buy a foam bed are the Tuft and Needle mattress and the Nectar mattress.
Hybrid Mattress: These are combination beds with an internal spring system and a high-density foam base for good support. Our picks are the TEMPUR Adapt mattress and the Brooklyn Signature in this category.
Innerspring Mattress:– They have a mesh or pocket coil system and are also affordable. We recommend that you choose the classic Saatva mattress if you prefer an innerspring mattress.
Some Final Helpful Tips
- Determine your budget in advance to avoid confusion and find the best mattress for your budget.
- Prefer those that provide long periods of sleep testing. The average is a 100 night trial, but you can also find some that offer a 180 night trial and even a 1 year trial. But this increases the cost, so be careful when choosing the mattress.
- Always remember that a mattress may be comfortable for some people, but it may not be best for your back. Understand your body type and weight. Always search online but reliable websites before buying.
Try to get a suitable mattress that offers a sufficient warranty period, i.e. at least 10 years or more.
Best Mattress TYPE for back and hip pain
If you suffer from chronic back pain, you may realize how important the right mattress is for sleeping. Back pain tends to get annoying and if you don’t sleep with the exact level of firmness it can do a lot more damage than an uncomfortable sleep.
Hip pain, on the other hand, can have various causes. This could be arthritis, nerve weakness, or even a previous injury or sprain. Whatever the reason, finding the right mattress that feels soft and also ensures proper spinal alignment is paramount. Unnecessary pressure on the lower back or hips should be avoided, even while sleeping.
Therefore, regardless of your body weight or your preferred sleeping position, a simple pain relief is a gentle touch that adapts to the body. It relaxes your joints and cushions your pressure points for long-lasting pressure relief.
Memory foam mattresses can be helpful in treating these issues. Even latex mattresses have been proven to relieve back or hip pain.
It is recommended to place a pillow under the knees to ensure that the lower body and abdomen are significantly elevated and at the correct angle. This can be a remedy for people who suffer from lower back or hip pain.
So in simple terms, if you sleep on your back with back pain or hip pain, go for a somewhat firm mattress. It shouldn’t be abnormally firm, but a little firmer than where you’re already sleeping. Mattresses with sufficient support to prevent unnecessary sagging are also an excellent solution for such a problem.
You may want to buy a memory foam or latex mattress for best results.
Does Memory Foam cause Back Pain to Back Sleepers?
We must understand that the pain that develops in the back can be the result of an incorrect sleeping position and is not always the fault of the mattress. People can even experience pain when they sleep on the most comfortable mattress and therefore we cannot generalize such a problem.
Memory foam mattresses are often recommended for people with back pain. It has also produced positive results, but few people have claimed that memory foam mattresses are also a trigger for pain. This again varies from one sleeper to another and the type of support it provides.
For example, if the lower back or hip is heavy, it can sag and the posture can be distorted and cause pain. However, this is not a generic problem with memory foam mattresses.
During hot weather, memory foam mattresses trap body heat, leading to excessive sweating and uncomfortable sleep. Again, this can lead to constant movement while sleeping. Therefore, less comfort and becomes a reason for back pain.
However, in most cases it is beneficial to choose mattresses with cooling gel. Also add a cooling overlay to your existing mattress.
Back sleepers need a better mattress than usual to ensure greater comfort and avoid unwanted cramps or sharp pains.
We’ve detailed our top picks for the best mattresses for back sleepers.
Our buyer’s guide is enough to understand the different aspects of buying a mattress for this sleeping position. Use this resource and make sure you have a comfortable, safe sleeping experience.