Disclosure: We rely on readers’ support to run SleepMattressHQ.com. If you buy products through our links, we may earn a commission. Click here to read about our process.
Sharing a bed can be nice and comforting. However, sleeping next to someone who tosses and turns at night can also affect your sleep quality.
It can be more difficult to choose a mattress that meets the needs of both you and your sleeping partner. In situations where you prefer something firm and your partner something softer, it can be difficult to find a compromise.
“Split king beds allow me to set the beds according to my preferences without disturbing my partner’s comfort. The split top king is exactly what I’ve been wanting my entire life!“
Enter the split king size mattress here. The shared king size beds’ enhanced motion control and customizable sleeping arrangements help improve sleep quality.
In terms of mattress size, the beds are simply two double XLs put together, usually with a connector in the middle. But we recommend investing in a high quality king size adjustable bed for a better night’s sleep and advanced features.
But even if you decide to invest in a split king, you have a wide variety of options to choose from. The purpose of this article is to explain the benefits of having a mattress and our recommendations will help you choose the best split king size mattress. In addition, we will discuss how to choose the most suitable one based on various characteristics.
Quick List of Top Split King Mattresses
Editor’s Pick: GhostBed 3D Matrix
GhostBed’s 3D Matrix Hybrid is a 7-layer hybrid mattress suitable for most body types and sleepers, including those who suffer from night sweats while sleeping. For combo sleepers, their medium firmness and temporary Styrofoam layers mean they can easily change positions without feeling pressured.
3D Matrix is GhostBed’s most advanced mattress and is designed to keep people cool at night.
GhostBed 3D Matrix molds to your body and provides you with a good amount of support. It also keeps your back and spine aligned. As a result, it is a great mattress for those with back pain, arthritis or bursitis.
This king size bed can prevent back pain in normal and heavy back sleepers. It has layers of soft foam on the top that allows the hips to sag slightly without creating pressure points. The coils distribute the weight evenly and keep your back relaxed.
By combining memory foam and latex, you can strike a balance between responsiveness and freedom of movement. In memory foam gel and polymer foam, your body gently molds around you and the latex keeps you from feeling trapped.
They offer a 25 year warranty on the 3D matrix. GhostBed 3D Matrix comes with a 101-night trial from the day of shipment.
What We Like
- The Ghost Ice Cooling cover and latex foam layer dissipate body heat, making it ideal for a warm sleeper looking for a refreshing mattress.
- One of the best options for those who sleep on their backs and need a good balance between comfort and support.
- GhostBed 3D Matrix features a memory foam gel top layer that is soft and pressure relieving.
What We Don’t Like
- Not a good option for stomach sleepers who need more support from their mattress.
- Some customers may find your price a bit higher.
Amerisleep AS5 Hybrid
Amerisleep has a line of mattresses that suit a different spectrum of sleep needs. The AS5 model is one of the best mattresses for heavy people. It is available in two strengths. AS5 is a foam mattress and an AS5 hybrid.
Our recommendation is the hybrid model that is suitable for all sleeping positions for overweight people. It is an ideal soft mattress for a heavy couple where each person weighs about 230-250 pounds.
The construction includes an open cell Bio-Pur comfort layer and a zoned spiral base support for better weight distribution. Bio-Pur keeps the body cool thanks to easy air circulation. The advanced flushing system provides better pressure support than an average hybrid option.
Amerisleep offers a 100-night trial and a 20-year warranty for a stress-free purchase.
What We Like
- Gently but don’t let the body sink.
- Provides good motion isolation and edge support.
- Perfect for couples.
What We Don’t Like
- The mattress has an average performance for people weighing more than 250 pounds.
Amerisleep AS3 Mattress
One of the most popular Amerisleep models is the AS3 mattress. With medium to firm firmness, the Amerisleep AS3 is right in the middle of firmness. This universal foam mattress can appeal to a wide range of sleepers.
Amerisleep AS3 incorporates a comfort layer of Bio-Pur foam, which helps relieve pressure and has a responsive feel. Within this foam layer, a fair amount of body contouring is produced as the sleepers sink into it.
A thin, breathable cover allows air to flow through the Amerisleep AS3.
The mattress shows excellent results for movement transfer! As a result, you are unlikely to feel your partner’s movements at night.
The Amerisleep AS3 mattress comes with a 20-year warranty. which covers the price of repair or replacement of your mattress in the event manufacturing defects are found. Amerisleep offers a trial period of 100 nights for the AS3 mattress range.
What We Like
- It’s best for side sleepers with just the right amount of sag around the shoulders and hips to stay comfortable in a bed all night.
- This is a great bed for couples who prefer minimal movement transfer. The mattress is also very cool to sleep in, which is important when two sources of body heat warm it up.
What We Don’t Like
- It is a full foam bed without springs, so it is not recommended for people who sleep and like inflatable beds.
- It is also not recommended for stomach sleepers, who may not be getting enough support from this mattress.
Leesa Original Mattress
The Leesa Original mattress is a popular choice among the many bed-in-a-boxes on the market today. With minor design changes over the years, the Leesa mattress remains a very comfortable foam mattress with several high-quality materials.
As one of the most affordable mattresses, the Leesa Original continues to convince sleepers with different body types and sleeping positions.
Leesa Original is available in only one firmness level, medium (5 on the firmness scale). With its 10-inch profile, it easily fits on almost all standard fitted sheets.
Leesa Original offers a 100-night sleep test and a 10-year warranty. Material and manufacturing defects are covered by this warranty, as are repairs and replacements of defective mattresses.
Both LSA200 and memory foam have densities of 3.0 and IFD 13 and 9, respectively. While Leesa does not contain latex and coils, the high-density foam should guarantee the mattress will last seven to ten years.
What We Like
- Side sleepers looking for relief from the pressure on their shoulders and hips will find the ideal mattress.
- It is the best option for those who want good pressure relief but are afraid of getting stuck on their mattress; that makes Leesa one of the best soft mattresses for adjustable beds.
What We Don’t Like
- Not recommended for stomach sleepers who require a more supportive mattress.
- Not a good option for sleepers who prefer an extra firm mattress or a slow moving memory foam feel.
GhostBed Natural Mattress
GhostBed offers a range of mattresses, such as classic, flexible and luxurious. GhostBed Refreshing Gel Memory Foam is included in all these popular models. GhostBed Natural, on the other hand, is quite unique.
It’s made from Dunlop latex, a naturally breathable material that bounces and reacts. In combination with the fleece layer, this mattress feels cool all night long.
The GhostBed Natural mattress is made of natural latex, wool and pocket rolls and has a hybrid construction.
The mattress cover is non-toxic and made of pure, clean and organic cotton, which ensures softness and long-lasting comfort.
Memory foam mattresses tend to trap heat, while latex foam is naturally breathable. That’s not the only way GhostBed Natural keeps you cool, though. There is also a fleece layer on the mattress, which helps to dissipate body heat. The coils at the bottom also promote airflow.
It is a medium firm mattress. While you sleep on the mattress, it feels soft. This is due to the organic cotton cover and a layer of wool and latex underneath.
A 101-night trial is offered, backed by a 25-year warranty.
What We Like
- GhostBed is made from natural and eco-friendly materials that organic shoppers appreciate.
- This bed is ideal for a warm sleeper looking for an organic split mattress. The layers of this natural mattress are super cool and breathable, making it the perfect choice for a warm sleeper!
- In addition, combination sleepers enjoy this mattress, because the springy feeling allows them to rest and move comfortably.
What We Don’t Like
Sleepers who want to sink into the mattress and shape their bodies should skip this mattress.
Since it has GhostBed Natural coils, it performs a bit average in the isolation movement. If your partner’s movements easily annoy you, GhostBed may not be for you.
Those who sleep on their stomach may find this mattress a little too soft to support their hips.
Nest Bedding Alexander Signature Hybrid Mattress
Nest Bedding’s Alexander Signature Hybrid is a hybrid design that combines foam and coils. The mattress is available in three firmnesses: Plush, Medium and Deluxe.
It consists of five layers: a padded sleeve, memory foam with gel, a comfort layer of Energex foam, a transition layer of SmartFlow Support Foam, a support core with pockets and a base layer of support foam.
With the Alexander Signature hybrid mattress from Nest Bedding, you can enjoy a 100-night trial and a lifetime warranty. Warranty coverage includes defects, including excessive sagging, manufacturing defects in the zipper, or physical defects in the cover.
What We Like
- If you sleep on your back or on your side, you can enjoy the Alexander Signature Hybrid. In addition to bouncing, the mattress also provides support and pressure relief, making it comfortable in any position.
- It also works well to isolate the transfer of motion, but it is also smooth to firm. Couples may find it suitable.
- It can sink your hips into the mattress, relieving the symptoms of hip pain.
What We Don’t Like
- Soft firmness may not be suitable for warm sleepers, as deep cuddling can trap some body heat. Medium and firm versions provide temperature control.
- It is very heavy and difficult to move.
Things to Consider While Buying a Split King Mattress
The materials used in the mattress layers determine the type of mattress. The comfort, quality and support of a bed can be affected by these materials. Therefore, it is very important to understand what kind of experience you will have with each type.
Hybrid mattresses are made of foam and internal springs. Most of these beds have a 2- to 3-inch-wide comfort layer made of latex or memory foam.
Memory foam mattresses are incredibly soft, responsive mattresses that contour to the body without putting pressure on it. It allows you to sleep without weight so your body can heal and rebuild.
Highly durable, natural latex has become a popular mattress material. With its more elastic properties than memory foam, this foam molds to your body without feeling rocked.
Cooling features, including vegetable memory foam and internal coil springs, will benefit those who prefer a cooler sleep, especially those who sleep warmly.
Memory foam mattresses are made up of layers of memory foam placed on springs or support foam. It uses your body heat to smooth and sculpt your body shape.
Overheating is a major drawback of traditional memory foam. As a result, mattress brands add cooling properties such as vegetable oils, gel, and copper or graphite to their products.
- Plant-based Memory Foam
Memory foam made from vegetable oils is breathable and more sensitive due to the replacement of vegetable oils with petroleum in the production process. The smell of vegetable memory foam is minimal.
- Gel Memory Foam
During the production process, swirls and gel mixes are added, or gel pearls are added. The memory foam gel absorbs and disperses body heat to keep the body at a comfortable temperature.
- Copper or Graphite Infusions
As heat conductors, both copper and graphite perform similar tasks. Copper removes heat and improves local blood flow, while graphite removes heat from the body and is often used in powerful machines such as personal computers.
In mattresses, as in the rest of the bedding, the spirals of the internal springs allow better air circulation thanks to their open structure. Greater airflow reduces heat and provides cooler air to regulate temperature.
Sleeping position is an important factor to consider when choosing a split king size mattress. Different sleeping positions require different levels of firmness. Here is a list of some of the most commonly used sleeping positions and the optimal level of firmness for each.
Side Sleeping:A medium firm mattress cushions the largest joints in the body (the hips and shoulders) and prevents excessive sagging, so that the spine remains straight.
Back Sleeping: The person who sleeps on their back should choose a medium to medium firm mattress to prevent their hips from sagging and their spine misaligned.
Stomach Sleeping:Stomach sleepers may benefit from a medium firm mattress to prevent them from sinking into the hips and straining the upper back and neck.
Combination Sleeping:For combination sleepers, a medium firm mattress provides plenty of cushion for lying on your side, while also providing enough support to prevent your hips from sagging when you lie on your back or stomach.
A split king-size mattress fits perfectly with an adjustable bed base. These adjustable bases electronically raise the head and legs to improve circulation and reduce symptoms of sleep apnea and acid reflux.
In addition to reducing back pain, adjustable bed bases place the body in a weightless position. Using adjustable split-king bases, couples can set their sleeping preferences without disturbing each other.
With an adjustable base, you can recline into a seated position to read or watch a movie, lift your legs after a long day or workout, or stop snoring and sleep apnea by simply lifting your or your partner’s head slightly. In addition, they allow the spine to align naturally during sleep, further promoting back health.
Why Split King Mattress is right for you?
When it comes to mattresses, do you and your partner have very different tastes? Do your bedfellows snore or do gymnastics in their sleep? A split mattress configuration is a perfect solution for you if you answer “yes” to any of these questions. For these reasons, we like divided kings.
- Terminates motion transfer.With split kings you are not bothered by your partner’s movement by changing position on the mattress while sleeping.
- Ensures personal space.It is important to have personal space, especially when sleeping. If you share your bed with someone else, you cannot be separated from each other and it can lower your sleep quality. A split king-size mattress is the same size as a regular king-size bed, but consists of two separate XL mattresses next to each other instead of one fixed bed. Split Kings is the perfect mattress for couples who have different sleeping preferences.
- Separate sleeping preferences can be accommodated. It is rare for partners to have the same fixed preference. Couples who sleep in the same position may prefer different strengths depending on their body type. With a split-king mattress, a couple can choose two firmness levels to accommodate two different sleeping positions and body types.
- Compatibility with adjustable beds.Split king size mattresses work great with adjustable king size bed bases. Adjustable beds are ideal for people with back pain, osteoarthritis, bursitis, skeletal pain and can also reduce symptoms of sleep apnea, acid reflux and snoring.
Does split king gap filler works?
Yes, but there are a few things to keep in mind. Just adding a gap filler may not be enough. If the frame doesn’t hold them together, the mattress will slide unless secured. The combination of tying them together and then adding a gap filler (like this one) works best. So there’s no reason you can’t cuddle or make love on a shared king size bed because of a space in the middle.
How to keep Split King mattresses together?
- Connector:Most split king size adjustable beds have connectors on the bottom so that the space between the two sides can be adjusted. If this is not complete, it will help prevent the mattress from falling apart.
- Non-Slip Mattress Pad: Adding a non-slip mattress pad or clamp between the mattress and the bottom of the base further minimizes slipping.
- Straps or Sheet Suspenders:Use mattress straps or sheet straps that can be attached to the seams of the two mattresses.
Many factors are taken into account when purchasing a mattress, including how firm the buyer prefers and how the sleeper prefers to sleep.
Couples may have different physical needs and preferences, which makes the process even more challenging. This problem can be solved by purchasing a split king size mattress.
The king size split mattress allows couples to have their own individual sleeping areas based on their preferences. Since people sleep on different mattresses, split king size mattresses significantly improve motion control. This is beneficial for couples who have different sleeping habits.